World Fish Migration Day (WFMD) is globally celebrated every after two years on May 21. It was initiated in 2014 and this year it marks the 5th WFMD. The goal is to connect fish, rivers, and people through global celebrations to raise awareness about the importance of migratory fish and free-flowing rivers. Today, the National Research & Development Centre for Aquaculture (NR&DCA), Gelephu joined the world to organize and coordinate the event around the common theme of CONNECTING FISH, RIVERS, AND PEOPLE.
The NR&DCA celebrated the WFMD through the execution of a series of following activities;
- Releasing of native fish species into Pasangchu,
- Raise awareness on the celebration and importance of WFMD,
- Guided tour to carp hatchery, mussel culture unit, ornamental fish unit, aquaponics technology unit, and golden mahseer conservation center,
- On-farm field excursion to understand the basics of aquaculture and aquatic animals, and
- Quick poster competition among students on the common theme.
The above one-day programs were initiated harmoniously from 6.00 AM to 3.00 PM. Group winners were awarded cash prizes for poster competitions to encourage and motivate their excessive future participation. Through such a program, the NR&DCA along with an organizer all over the world envision having free-flowing rivers full of fish by devising some solutions that will help migratory fish. It is a special day to celebrate our love and work for rivers and fishes.
Sr. Livestock Production Officer